Saturday, July 18, 2009

Is it still singing if it isn't actually musical?

I live in a small apartment building and I have learned that sound carries pretty well in it. I don't know if it is due to old construction or maybe the stair wells are just effective conductors of sound, or perhaps it is just because everyone who lives here was either a rhino or an elephant in a former life, but it is rarely quiet here. A few months ago, a new woman moved into the building. She doesn't live directly under me, but rather her apartment is diagonally below mine if that makes any sense. She seems to be a nice enough person - when I do bump into her she is always friendly and polite and kind of quiet. When she is in her apartment, however, it is a totally different story. She watches t.v., listens to the radio, and talks on her phone all at full volume. She often has noisy friends over and they clomp up and down the stairs and cackle like crazy people in the hallways, having fun and annoying everyone else.

She also sings. At least, I guess you can call it singing. It isn't as though it is particularly musical but it also isn't quite like a dog howling. If there is some in-between point, then that is what I would call it. Some hybrid like 'showling' or 'hinging.' Whatever it is, it is very loud. And, for some reason, it is usually the same song over and over.

I admit to singing in the shower a few times a week and I definitely like to boogie down with some tunes on my stereo in my apartment. I have even embarassed myself by losing control and singing along with my ipod on the street. I certainly don't have a professional voice but as far as I can tell, I can at least carry a tune and sing on key. At least, I think so. No one has complained, anyway.

So that brings up my actual question - if the noise being made is just noise with nothing musical about it, is it really singing or just caterwauling? And if it really is just noise, should I say anything? I mean, my neighbor downstairs really seems to enjoy her singing so who am I to tell her that it makes me want to go spontaneously deaf at times? Which is the greater act of rudeness - her intrusion on the sanctuary of my aparment or my honest opinion of her lack of skill?

In reality, I know that I could never in a million years actually hurt someone's feelings that way. I may think the nasty thoughts and resent the need for earplugs, but when it comes to a choice of a little quiet or making someone feel bad about enjoying herself in such a harmless way, the decision is an easy one - I will just suck it up, put in my earbuds, and turn up the volume on my ipod. It isn't because I am a saint or anything. It is because I believe in what comes around, goes around, and that includes bad behavior.

Her loud parties are another story - with those, she has two choices: either invite me in for a drink or listen to me complain. I have a big vocabulary and can whine for hours if I feel it is necessary.

2 comments:

  1. I would think it is still singing, even if it sucks. Wesley Willis would be one such example.

    You should start singing along with her, loudly, and as a duet perhaps she wouldn't be so enthused to continue on and if she is, perhaps she'd be more likely to invite you down for that drink!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being the only non-artistic member in a family of crazily talented artists, I have to side with your neighbor on this one....I belt out some tunes on a regular basis, and enjoy it quite a bit. I know I'm getting out of control when Lily starts meowing at me in a sad voice. It must be her way of telling me to shut my mouth.

    ReplyDelete